Five Ways To Make Your Nursery Comfortable For Your New Baby
Are you expecting your first baby? Setting up a nursery is one of the most important things you will do as you wait for your baby's arrival. Here are five things you will want to do to make that nursery as comfortable as possible for your new child.
1. Choose your window treatment wisely. Babies sleep a lot so you want something that will block the light, but not make it too dark. You want your infant to still know that it is daytime or it will be harder for them to get their sleep schedules right. Plantation shutters are a great choice for a nursery because they:
- block heat and cold, keeping the room the perfect temperature
- open and close easily
- are safer than traditional blinds since they don't have dangerous strings hanging
- block the perfect amount of light
You can choose half shutters, as well, if you want to hang a cute valence up top. This will block even more light at the top, while still leaving the bottom easy to open and free of strings.
2. Buy a cool mist humidifier. Hot ones can be dangerous for young children so avoid those. Babies have dry, sensitive skin when they are born (and their lungs are used to being in water), so adding some humidity to a room will help them be more comfortable.
3. Get a white noise machine. Wombs are noisy places and your baby is used to sleeping with a little bit of white noise. It will also block any of the loud noises from the street or inside the house, which can startle your baby.
4. Purchase a small heater. Since it is dangerous for young babies to sleep with blankets (they can wrap around the baby's face), you will want the nursery to be a little warmer than the rest of the house. Place it up high and remove it once your child is mobile. You can turn it on and warm up the room before the baby goes to bed if you don't want to leave it running all night. If the room is small, it might get too hot if it runs too many hours.
5. Buy an essential oil diffuser. Babies can't have cold medicine so when your baby gets sick, you will want to diffuse some essential oils in the air. Peppermint, eucalyptus, lavender, and rosemary are all great oils to diffuse because they will help open your baby's airways. You can also diffuse Roman chamomile, lavender, orange, and vetiver to help your baby sleep.